“Remember and Honor our Military”
Memorial Day – May 29, 2017
Memorial Day Events around Northern Nevada
Reno, Sparks, Fernley, Carson City and other communities are home to several memorials commemorating those who have lost their lives in service to our country. Please try to visit one of the places listed and honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice:
- Mountain View Cemetery: Reno – 96th Annual Commemoration starting at 10:00a.m. near the second fountain on the Main Avenue of the cemetery.
- Our Mother of Sorrows Cemetery: Reno – Ceremony starting at 10:30a.m., and will include a Mass.
- James D. Hoff Peace Officer Memorial: – Idlewild Park, Reno
- Sparks Memorial Park: Sparks
- Powning Veterans’ Memorial Park: Reno
- Lone Mountain Cemetery: Carson City
- Northern Nevada Veterans’ Memorial Cemetery: Fernley – 25th Annual Ceremony begins May 29, Monday at 11a.m. on Monday. Northern Nevadans will join the nation in remembering Americans who died in military service. The keynote speaker will be Kevin Tokarski, Associate Administrator for Strategic Sealift – U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration. The Master of Ceremonies will be the Nevada Department of Veterans Services Deputy Director, Fred Wagar. The ceremony will also include performances by the Maytan Band, conducted by CW4 Alan Pefley, U.S. Army. Volunteers on Saturday will place American Flags on the graves at the cemetery.
- Sierra Memorial Gardens Cemetery: Lemmon Valley – Ceremony starting at 11 a.m., at the cemetery grounds located on Memorial Drive. Before the solemn ceremonies, the public is invited to Honor Flight Nevada’s 3rd Annual Pancake Breakfast, moved this year to Victorian Square in Sparks to accommodate a larger crowd. It begins with a color guard at 7 a.m. and with breakfast service beginning at 7:15 a.m., continuing until 11 a.m. The cost of breakfast is $5 and goes toward sending Nevada veterans to Washington, D.C., to visit the memorials dedicated in their honor.
Virginia City Celebration of Heroes Memorial Day Parade
- The Memorial Day celebrations in Virginia City kick off with a Celebration of Heroes Parade down historic C Street on May 27, 2017. The parade starts at noon on Saturday. The parade celebrates the heroism and sacrifice of those Americans who have died defending our nation.
Note: Confirm all dates and times before attending!